What Is Dreamhost?
DreamHost has been around for 18 years, and is known for making web hosting easy. You get custom dashboard, 1-click WordPress install, automatic WordPress updates, unlimited space, unlimited bandwidth and free SSDs which makes your site 200% faster. DreamHost powers over 600,000 WordPress blogs and websites. There are no setup fees, and you also get a free domain.
DreamHost is a popular award-winning hosting company, and one of WordPress.org’s officially recommended hosts. They offer domain registration and web hosting services, including managed WordPress hosting. You’ll find they offer everything you need to grow your website, whether you’re a new blogger or established business. See our expert DreamHost review to decide if it’s the right choice for you.
DreamHost was founded in 1997 by four friends at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont, California: Dallas Bethune, Josh Jones, Michael Rodriguez and Sage Weil. Since then, DreamHost has become one of the most well-known and popular web hosting companies. They now host over 1.5 million websites, including over 750,000 WordPress installations. They’ve won PCMag’s Business Choice Awards for Web Hosting Service for 2014-2016.
DreamHost is also a certified carbon-neutral host, and makes every effort to conserve resources in their own offices. They’re also a member of the U.S. Green Chamber of Commerce.
DreamHost Hosting Plans
DreamHost specializes in providing hosting for web designers, developers, bloggers and online businesses. They offer shared hosting, managed WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated servers. They also offer cloud servers and cloud storage.
All of DreamHost’s plans use SSD drives for faster loading. DreamHost also uses a proprietary control panel instead of cPanel.
Shared hosting includes:
- 1 free domain registration
- unlimited storage and bandwidth
- hosting for unlimited websites
- unlimited email accounts
- 1-click installation of WordPress
DreamHost also offers a managed WordPress hosting plan called DreamPress. DreamPress is over 5 times faster than shared hosting. The servers are optimized for WordPress, and can handle traffic spikes without your site going down.
Managed WordPress hosting also includes:
- automatic WordPress core updates for security
- private IP address and SSL certificate pre-installed for eCommerce sites
- no limits on visitors or bandwidth
- a firewall for brute-force attack mitigation
In our DreamHost review, we found that they provide high quality, reliable hosting at very affordable prices. Their plans include everything you need to build your website, and room to upgrade when your site grows.
Support and Customer Service
DreamHost offers 24/7 support via a ticket system. You can open a request for support through your customer dashboard.
They also maintain a forum on their website where you can post your questions. Support staff is active in the forums, and most questions are answered within 24 hours.
Many reviews mention the quality of their support, though some reviewers were frustrated by not having access to immediate phone or live chat support.
While live chat and phone support can be useful for simple questions, customers with more complicated issues are usually directed to open a support ticket anyway. DreamHost maintains an extensive knowledgebase on their website that answers the most common questions users have about hosting. If you have a more complicated issue, it probably could not be answered immediately via live chat or phone even if it was available.
Money Back Guarantee
DreamHost has an incredible 97 day money back guarantee. Most hosts offer just 30 days. That means that if you cancel your account within 97 days of signing up, you’ll receive a full refund of all hosting fees.
Pros and Cons
DreamHost is a popular web hosting company, but it may not be right for everyone. Consider these pros and cons before choosing a plan.
- Award Winning Hosting – DreamHost has won the PCMag Readers’ Choice Award for best business hosting for the past 3 years. They rated high in reader surveys for their reliability and tech support.
- No Plugin Restrictions – Unlike other managed WordPress hosting providers, DreamHost does not forbid you from using any plugins on your DreamPress account.
- Free Domain and Privacy – Every DreamHost plan includes one free domain registration plus domain privacy, so your contact information isn’t made public on the web.
- Monthly Billing With No Setup Fee – You can choose to pay month-to-month with any DreamHost plan, without having to pay a setup fee.
- Support Isn’t Immediate – DreamHost only offers support via a ticket system. They don’t offer live chat or phone support. They do aim to respond to all support requests within 24 hours, but some users find it frustrating to have to wait for an answer.
- No cPanel – DreamHost uses their own custom-designed control panel, which allows you to manage your billing and domains as well as your hosting. Users who are accustomed to cPanel might not want to try a new control panel.
Is DreamHost Right for You?
Now that you have read through our entire DreamHost review, you might be wondering whether DreamHost is the right web host for you.
After reviewing DreamHost services in detail, we are awarding them with the title “Best DIY Hosting.”
Since they only offer support via tickets, we recommend DreamHost to DIY users who are comfortable figuring things out on their own using the comprehensive knowledgebase.
Ready to get started with DreamHost? Click here to select your DreamHost plan today.